Tuesday, December 22, 2009

1987 Jeep Cherokee Oil Problems?

I recently noticed oil on my air filter and realized that my CCV hose was dripping oil back into the air box onto the filter. I was told by one person that my o-rings were bad but I also heard that it could be my PCV valve, which one is more likely?? Also, rear main seal is leaking which seems to be a Jeep thing, I knoe it is possible to replace the seal without removing the tranny, but I would like to know how much harder it is to do it like this. Has anybody replaced the seal w/o removing the tranny? If so, some feedback would be appreciated.1987 Jeep Cherokee Oil Problems?
I'd just replace it all. You're looking at less than $30 in parts and probably less than 15 minutes to do both valves yourself. Both valves are typically press fit into the valve cover and as long as the rubber holding the valves are still pliable all you need to do is pull the valve out and press a new one in.





The rear main seal on an engine being replaced with out removing the transmission? Now that one I'd like to see. How is this done? To replace the rear seal the transmisson must be removed.1987 Jeep Cherokee Oil Problems?
jeep did not use a pcv valve on cherokee models just a small tube with a restricted orifice very common to clog also the valve cover may need to be removed to clean deposites that could be sucked intoand block tube, tube and grommet kits and valve cover gaskets are available from jeep dealers as for the rear crank seal you just remove the oilpan and rear main bearing cap replace the lower half in the cap and then poke at the top half until it starts to move thenpullit out with pliers . to install new start by pushing the end of seal into block groove and then turning the crankshaft by hand untill top half is all the way in. theninstaa thebearing cap and torque to specs. then re assemble oil pan using new gaskets. this is ajob that should be done by a shop [clean envrioment and parts washing capabilities} for your 19 year old truck. the job only pays like 2.5 hrs plus grease and grime.

No comments:

Post a Comment