Saturday, December 26, 2009

Concrete floor oil problems?

I got a shop that measures 25x25 and it has a concrete floor. I use this shop to work on cars and various projects. But in the past Iv'e gotton some oil on my concrete. And I was wondering is it anything that I could do to prevent oil and and other car fluids from dripping onto my concrete floor and absorbing it leaving a big mess? Im open to suggestions.Concrete floor oil problems?
Depending upon the nature of your work you could easily put something over the concrete to shield it when drips are likely. I have seen tarps and even cardboard used in this way. For existing spills cat litter, sawdust and a commercial product available from a heating supply shop will soak up the oil, (used around oil burners to soak up spills,) that is on and to some extent in the concrete.





The more substantial solution is the already mentioned, cleaning (I have been very successful with the less caustic: TSP a wet dry vac and lots of water), sealing, and painting. (though you still might use the first suggestion)Concrete floor oil problems?
Clean oil of floor with Muriatic acid. Follow proper procedures...Then seal floor with high quality sealant.








http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxt鈥?/a>





http://shop.mccoys.com/Painting/Paint/Co鈥?/a>
Clean the floor with concrete cleaner (muratic acid) and rinse well. Apply a water sealant like Thompsons for concrete then use a good epoxy paint or marine grade spar varnish to finish the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment