Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I have a 1972 Jeep CJ5 with a 360 in it. I have been having problems keeping my oil pressure up. Whats wrong?

I have already rebuilt the oil pump. That didn't help. When I first start my Jeep the oil pressure is around 20 psi but as I run it the pressure drops down all the way to 5 psi. I know that 5 psi is way too low but I don't know what is makeing it drop like this.I have a 1972 Jeep CJ5 with a 360 in it. I have been having problems keeping my oil pressure up. Whats wrong?
You have a problem with worn bearings. As the engine warms up the clearance increases there fore oil pressure decreases.I have a 1972 Jeep CJ5 with a 360 in it. I have been having problems keeping my oil pressure up. Whats wrong?
If you've redone the oil pump and still have the problem, worn bearings would be the next place to look. 20 pounds *might* be okay for an idle condition, but I'd except around 60 on start up.





That being said, is it a real pressure gage, or one of the electric ones? If the latter, try replacing the sensor unit. It may be a false reading.
Without knowing a little more about how many miles on it or has been rebuilt or not. Sounds like maybe too much wear on the bearings. If the gap is too much you will lose pressure as the oil gets hot.You might have to rebuild the engine. You also maybe using the wrong weight oil for your Jeep, check the manual on the correct weight that you should be using.

No comments:

Post a Comment