Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What problems and expenses can I expect from putting too much oil in my car? Can I fix it myself?

My car is a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan with about 65000 miles. My husband told me to add oil to the car. I was stupid and put too much oil in my car. We're talking WAY too much. When I started the car and went inside, the kids came running in and said something was wrong with the car. There was white smoke coming out of the tailpipe and oil was coming out also. And, there was oil coming out from under the car as well.


I immediately turned off the car. Can this be fixed by just draining the oil, or do I need major work? What type of problems and expense am I looking at? Can it be driven to a mechanic or should it be towed? Thanks in advance for your help.


JWhat problems and expenses can I expect from putting too much oil in my car? Can I fix it myself?
Just drain ALL of the oil out of it.. Put a new oil filter on and put the right amount of oil back into the engine.What problems and expenses can I expect from putting too much oil in my car? Can I fix it myself?
just put new oil and oil filter on that sould work. just hop u didnt plow some seals in the engine but it sould be ok just put new oil and oil filerter on Report Abuse

Too much oil boils over and makes the engine run dry. If you are a DIY, drain it all. Look up in the owners manual how many quarts to put in and do that amount. Verify with the dipstick.
Hey don't worry, You could drain some out or take it in for a change, Its ok don't run it to much drain it out before cranking, hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment