Saturday, December 26, 2009

What problems can arise from putting too much oil in my car?

I have a VW Jetta.





I was pretty much out of oil, so I started filling it up. Then I realized the dipstick wasn't really marked, and checked the manual.





Long story short, I put almost twice too much oil in it than what is supposed to be in there. I plan on making an appointment tomorrow and then going to get my oil changed and such.





My question is, will having that much oil in my car be a severe issue driving less than a mile to the place?What problems can arise from putting too much oil in my car?
If putting too much oil in the engine raises oil pressure/////everyone would do it. !!





It won't raise the oil pressure...but it will create ';bubbles'; ...';churning'; like a blender does shakes.





This will lessen the lubrication because of all those bubbles in there.





Less than a mile won't hurt anything and you are not going to blow a gasket from pressure.What problems can arise from putting too much oil in my car?
I've gotten carried away and put in an extra quart, but never twice as much. The problem would be if the oil spashes around too much and gets too many bubbles in it which will not lubricate as well. You could drain the excess oil now, but thats a lot of oil and it could get messy. Driving should be OK , if you go slow and the service station is close.
It could,,, excessive oil can create a lot of pressure in the engine and cause it to lock up and it could also make it blow out oil seals in the engine If you can;t take out the oil drain plug your self then drive slow and watch your guages real close,,,, The temp and oil guage if they start to rise more then usuale the stop and release the pressure by removing the oil fill cap,, replace the fill cap and drive slow again... Good Luck
andys right i would take off the cap before you go just so your safe and not sorry and take it slow but dont worry i have my own body shop and a mile drive aint nothing dont get it towed youll be completely fine. nothing will happen to your car





good luck and ask if they have a new dip stick. that will help
The oil level in the crank case will be churned by the crank and it will foam causing lubrication problems to the bearings and other parts, also oil may get pass the rings and foul the plugs and the burning oil will ruin the catalytic converter.
Driving to the station for an oil change will be no problem. Just take it slow and easy. Nothing will happen in the mile drive. You might ask what the consequences are if several miles at moderate speed were ridden with excess oil.
get under the car remove oil drain plug, let some of that Texas gold work its way out.
I would tow it to the shop.
you have a good chance of blowing a gasket or a oil seal.

No comments:

Post a Comment