Monday, April 26, 2010

Found my oil low, any collateral problems?

I got my oil changed and less than 400 miles later, my oil light started flickering on and off. So I checked under the car and noticed oil in the driveway. Took it back to the place I had the oil changed and they found the filter to be loose (as i expected). The car normally takes 4.5 quarts. They added 3.25 quarts. Would you expect driving around for this relatively short period of time with less-than-full oil cause any significant damage?Found my oil low, any collateral problems?
If there was any significant damage the motor would be making noise or you would be experiencing other issues. Considering how quickly you caught it I would say you are fine.Found my oil low, any collateral problems?
I had the same problem with my 1999 Dodge Ram van. I would check the oil, drive it for less that 500 miles and low oil pressure light would come on, I'd check the oil and it wouldn't even register on the dipstick! I think I added close to 3 quarts. It happened twice before I could get it to the shop, had a blown head gasket. They repaired it and so far, 3 years and around 28000 miles later, there's no problem with it.





Good Luck!
You might be ok as there were not a lot of miles driven but in general...if the oil pressure is low enough to turn on the light, the damage is all ready done :(
a chance for you to have damaged anything in that short of mileage is slim. it may have caused a bit of extra wear and tear on the parts . but if you had a serious problem it would be making a knocking sound that would not go away

No comments:

Post a Comment