Monday, April 26, 2010

OBDII and oil problems!?

My 99 Honda has an OBDII code P1457 print out says ';unable to pull vacuum in tank'; looked it up inline and it says ';leak detected in EVAP control system.'; Could this be why I'm burning so much oil? Is this part of the ECG? My friend told me it might be the ';charcoal Canister,'; does this sound right? Will it cost alot to fix? Please help me!


I would really like to know if this is my oil problem thanks!OBDII and oil problems!?
It should not have anything to do with the oil problem.The fuel problem could be the fuel cap or a problem with the EVAP control system.OBDII and oil problems!?
That basically means that your fuel tank isn't able to have a vacuum pulled on it. Most of the time it's as simple as tightening or replacing the gas cap.





If you've removed the filler neck or replaced any of the fuel system lines or vacuum lines, this could also be the cause.





Do the simple gas cap check first and then have your check engine light reset. If it goes away permanantly, replace your gas cap. If it doesn't start tightening fuel related clamps and the like. Then start checking all of your vacuum lines for leaks, tears, etc.





As far as your oil burning problems go, I burned oil in my Honda all the time. When I moved to a synthetic, after 80K miles, the problem got worse. got divorced before i could figure it out, and she 'won' the problem.





Good luck. Hope this helps.
P1457 EVAP System leak detected (Control canister)


The canister is located under the car about half way between the engine and gas tank. Look for a small plastic tank with vacuum hoses connected. One or more hoses may be broken off.


If the vacuum leak has been going for a long time, it could have pulled enough dirt into the engine to wear out the piston rings, and that would cause excessive oil consumption.
It could be as simple as the fuel cap being loose allthough that usually gives a DTC P1456 but its worth checking, another common problem could be the fuel filler pipe...I would suggest to have the dealer perform an ';Evap function test'; which should cost no more than $100 to diagnose properly

No comments:

Post a Comment