Monday, April 26, 2010

Oil problems with my car?

So my car's been acting a little strange, and whenever I break hard the oil light comes on. So people have told me that means the oil's moving in the pan and that basically I need more oil. I checked the oil levels with the dipstick and there was the tiniest amount on the bottom of the stick (maybe 1/8 inch), but the thing is that I didn't turn the car on before I checked and it had been sitting for about 24 hours. So I put one quart of oil in. Now when I check the oil levels it is WAY past the full mark on the dip stick. The full line is about 1.5 inches up from the bottom of the dipstick. The oil now goes up maybe 3 inches from the bottom. This is with only 1 quart of oil, and I also checked the levels without turning the engine on first. This just seems like way too much of an increase in the oil levels to be legit. Like the level went up three inches. The oil that now shows up on the dipstick is clear and new looking. I'm just wondering if this is a misreading or something and if I check again tomorrow it will be normal? Like is this just something that happens when you pour oil in? I have a 97 Mazda Protege with a manuel transmission if that helps, and I last got an oil change at the dealership about two months ago and I haven't had an oil problem before this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!Oil problems with my car?
The light only comes on when your pressure drops, not the level in your reserve pan. The full space on your dipstick is around 1/3 to 1/2 a quart so you probably did add too much oil. As far as that goes you might want to consider just getting an oil change and talking with a mechanic about the oil light.

No comments:

Post a Comment