Monday, April 26, 2010

ZX9R engine noise / possible oil problems?

Its not been long since I last changed the oil and the chain is fully lubed up but after a cold or wet night my bike sometimes makes a slightly off putting noise until she's warm, there is no problem with power (not that I push the bike until she鈥檚 warmed) and when she's warmed there is nothing unusual at all, I have started to see a slight scum mark in the oil reservoir and there was a slight build up on the cap on the last change.





On cold mornings there is a fair amount of white exhaust smoke (although not a vast amount) is this just a possible case of an oil filter change or could it be something else?





My previous bike was an old bullet proof Diversion and although I am capable of maintenance my knowledge of engines is fairly basic and the Ninja is a bit more technical than the ol XJ. I just wondered if anyone here had any ideas otherwise I will have to sort a weekend to work on it/book it in the garage before I take the bike on holiday.ZX9R engine noise / possible oil problems?
Zx9R's are known to wear the timing chain around 40,000 mile, any good bike shop mechanic should be able to tell you, replacement chain incl work around 拢130 stg. or there abouts. If you are living in Ireland try SCOTTS Bikes, he's an excellent mechanic. I alwas brought him my ZX7R, I got the timing chain cogs guides done, he also rebuild the front forks head bearings too, and lots of other stuff. No complaints from me.ZX9R engine noise / possible oil problems?
White smoke from cold is usually just the water vapour naturally produced. You do not see it when warmed as the hot exhaust keeps it at a temperature where is remains clear.


Sound to me like the bike is just warming up. Stuff in the engine needs to get up to temp to expand to it's normal working size and that is probably all it is.


My cars rear parcel shelf rattles in the winter until the heater has warmed everything through!


Make sure you have used the right grade of oil and avoid car engine oil as the additives are not right for bikes.
Might be your valves.

No comments:

Post a Comment