Wednesday, April 28, 2010

If the oil pump in my car malfunctions; what problems can happen to my car?

Malfunctions or fails?





A malfunction could mean it still works but oil pressure is low. If its a failure then there is no oil pressure at all.





The low oil pressure isn't good but its better than none at all. No pressure means no oil circulation. This means oil isn't getting to any engine parts and this will allow the heat and friction to wear the parts excessively and possibly even seize them up if left untreated.





I had a truck that the oil pump failed in. I don't know how far I drove it before it started to knock, but I didn't notice until I heard the knocking (it had oil pressure guage but I didn't notice it). Once I heard the knocking - I was about 1/4 mile from home, and kept going. I tried to keep the RPM's as low as possible to avoid doing any more damage to the motor than I had to.





Once I replaced the oil pump and ran it again, there was still a very slight knock (not very noticable unless you really were looking for it) but besides that - no real problems.





If your oil pump has malfunctioned or failed - get it replaced ASAP and do not run the engine until then. Any engine running without lubrication will damage it - and though it may not be that bad as in my case, it will still decrease the life of the motor.If the oil pump in my car malfunctions; what problems can happen to my car?
Seize the motor.If the oil pump in my car malfunctions; what problems can happen to my car?
In short? The engine will weld it's self together from the friction of moving parts with no oil to lubricate them.
There are a whole lot of things that happen to the motor if you run it without the oil pump working. NONE of them are good. Basically, all of the moving parts inside the motor will be weakened if not ruined starting with the main, con-rod, and camshaft bearings.


All said and done you'll trash the motor so don't run it without getting it fixed. If you can already hear a knocking noise, it's too late. It'll be cheaper and faster to replace the motor rather than rebuilding it.
motor seize...............no oil pressure no oil no oil no go
Believe me, you DON'T want to find out. Any time the oil light lights up, or the pressure gage reads zero, or you hear a clatter out of the engine. TURN IT OFF and call the tow truck.





Otherwise you may have holes in your engine from flying parts.
You will blow up your motor! Your crank shaft bearings will swell from the heat and lock up on the crank.Then depending on the rpm's that it's running at the time the oil pump quit's,your piston rods can and do, break and go thru the cilinder walls!Thuis,get a new motor!
Low/No oil pressure to engine lubricating system. This WILL damage the ALL the engine's bearings if the engine is run for even just MINUTES without oil pressure.
total engine failure will result
Assuming your car has an oil pressure warning light and you notice the light and stop the engine immediately probably nothing. Otherwise you will likely blow your engine. If the oil pump fails your engine gets no oil. No oil = no lubrication on moving parts = blown engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment