Wednesday, April 28, 2010

How do I fix a problem with Oil based primer that should have been latex?

I accidently oil primed over a couple of cupboard doors which will be painted with Latex paint..All the other doors are done with latex primer. If I lightly sand and then paint over with latex primer will the latex paint stick?Is light sanding going to be enough?How do I fix a problem with Oil based primer that should have been latex?
No problem. You certainly can paint latex over oil. NEVER paint oil over latex. It is a recipe for disaster.How do I fix a problem with Oil based primer that should have been latex?
DO heavy sanding ultil the cabinet doesnt smell anymore
Yes sand then prime with latex primer. Then paint. You'll be OK.
The best thing to do would be check the label. You really should have no problem painting with latex over the oil primer. If it needs sanding, then sand. Iit's easier to sand dry oil primer than latex. I have used oil primer umder latex with no problem what so ever.
I am a painting contractor and you can paint latex over an oil base primer with no problems...we do it all the time

No comments:

Post a Comment