Monday, April 26, 2010

Has anyone else taken Evening Primrose Oil during pregnancy and had problems?

I fell pregnant at the end of last year. I spoke to my GP about continuing to take Evening Primrose Oil (I have exczema so take 2000 mg per day) and he said it would be fine. I had a threatened miscarriage in January and miscarried in the February.


I'm now 5 weeks pregnant and have been continuing to take my EPO. I've just been looking through the internet which says it can cause miscarriages as softens the cervix and can lead to contractions.


I'm a little nervous now but hoping it's early enough to not have caused any problems.


Any one else experienced anything like this? And is it likely my GP was wrong?Has anyone else taken Evening Primrose Oil during pregnancy and had problems?
gp's aren't often well schooled in herbs and alternative medicine things.


EPO is used near the end of pregnancy to soften the cervix and help induce labor. its a no no in early pregnancyHas anyone else taken Evening Primrose Oil during pregnancy and had problems?
I wouldn't take it just to be safe.
EPO used to be used to induce miscarriage in ancient times. Wouldn't use it in early pregnancy!!!

1 comment:

  1. No problem at all. In fact evening primrose oil pregnancy supplements induce the production of a certain hormone called prostaglandin. Prostaglandin is a type of body hormone that helps in strengthening the cervix and preparing the woman for child birth.

    Jamie
    Evening Primrose Oil Pregnancy

    ReplyDelete